Saturday, October 2, 2010

Halloween: 2 Ideas for Avoiding the Candy Clutter

Trick or Treat for UNICEF - proud supporter

Looking for alternatives to giving (and getting) a bunch of candy? Here are two of my favorite ideas.

1. Trick or Treat for UNICEF

I don't see much of this going on any more - but it's as good an idea as ever. Collect money for UNICEF instead of collecting candy - or along with collecting candy, if you can't resist the sweets.


Give Books at Halloween - Books for Treats

2. Books for Treats

I mentioned this last year - and wanted to call your attention to it again. Give "gently read" books - ones your kids have outgrown, ones you pick up inexpensively at library sales, etc.

I actually did this - I gave away books last year instead of candy. (Being a bit nervous about it, I had a back-up package of candy, which I never needed to open.) As I wrote back then, the reaction was surprise and confusion, and then "Awesome!" So I'm planning to do the book thing again this year.

More in the Halloween Series:
Organizing and Halloween: Trick or Treat Buckets

4 comments:

AP said...

We decided to give out Halloween pencils instead of candy. The kids seem to like them pretty well and I like that they can be taken to school or used at home and aren't candy. Our kids think it's ok too. I heard one lady say she gives out drink boxes so the kids have something to drink with their treats. I thought that was a good idea.

Marcie Lovett said...

This year I'm giving Halloween pens and PlayDoh. I figure the kids are going to get plenty of candy from other people. I don't think the teenagers will be amused, however.

Jeri Dansky said...

AP and Marcie, thanks for some more good ideas. Some people give away their Happy Meal toys, which seems unfair - making your clutter someone else's clutter! But arts and crafts supplies (or anything encouraging creative play) such as pencils, pens and PlayDoh sound like good options to me!

Pauline Wiles said...

What lovely ideas! Trick or Treating doesn't really happen in the UK, and was a bit of a non-starter when we lived in an apartment, so it's only in the last couple of years that I've started to appreciate what a huge deal this is!
I love the Unicef suggestion, and the arts and crafts.