Saturday, April 24, 2010

Using the Walls: 6 Kitchen Rail Systems

kitchen utensil rail system

Utensil rail systems can be hugely helpful in small kitchens with limited counter space. Ikea's Grundtal is one of the best-known rail systems, but there are plenty of other ones to choose from. I'll show you the ones that caught my eye.


kitchen utensil rack

Alessi has a utensil rack designed by Jasper Morrison. (Here's one place to buy the rack and the set of 5 utensils.)


kitchen rail system

Brabantia's Kitchen Today system has a wide range of components.


wall rail system

Lee Valley sells a wall-mount storage system with some unusual components: a cutting board holder, a lid holder, and spice jars that hook onto the rack.


kitchen rail system

The Rösle Open Kitchen is another set with extensive options.


kitchen rail wall system

Finally, WMF has two options: the Vario Comfort wall system (shown above) and the Vario Fix system. Update on Sept. 19, 2015: It seems as though the Vario Fix system has been discontinued, although you can still find assorted pieces on various websites.

9 comments:

Sclavunos Organizing said...

These are all great looking systems. I like that they all have a variety of ways to personalize the system. Thanks!

Jeri Dansky said...

Sclavunos Organizing, you are very welcome!

Meredith from PenelopeLovesLists said...

More great resources, Jeri.

I love the IKEA products. With my tiny kitchen, they're lifesavers!

Unknown said...

These would be such great space savers and so stylish. Thank you for sharing these ideas!

Jeri Dansky said...

Meredith and Accessory Lady: Glad you like them!

John Trosko said...

I really like the rail systems, they're meant to keep clutter off the counter and have things ready when you need them. But all the crap on the back splash (mainly the utensils) make it look too chaotic. I'd keep it to baskets and bins as much as possible. I can see, with the right materials, to be something that really accentuates your decor AND functionality.

John aka OrganizingLA

Jeri Dansky said...

John, I use a utensil container myself. But sometimes there is so little counter room that a rail system really is the best answer. For example, look at this photo from my friend's apartment in Paris.

Ai@ce said...

Thanks for the comparison, I was just looking for something that would fit my kitchen... I've also found a franke rail system.
The best would be to find a system that can merge both hanging facility with lighting facility, but, as a matter of fact, I'ven't find anything like it.

Jeri Dansky said...

Ai@ce, thanks for sharing another option; I'm glad to know about the Franke system.