Thursday, July 23, 2009

Appreciation: Beautiful Boxes

box made with handmade paper - with peacock, flowers, etc.

If you're going to use a box to hold stuff you use frequently - and maybe even have the box sitting out, rather than tucked away - why not have the box be beautiful? The one above is my own, from Miki's Paper in Berkeley, California. The last time I looked, the store no longer carried these boxes - but you can find lovely boxes a number of other places.


box made with Italian lithographed paper

I loved the handmade paper I saw in Venice, and now I've discovered the lovely boxes from Il Papiro. The ones above are from the company's Florentine collection. I'm also quite fond of the Gregorian Chant boxes.


round box made with handprinted paper

Over on Etsy, JaneBox has some lovely options, made with handprinted paper. Update on Oct. 7, 2012: I'm no longer finding these boxes at JaneBox.


pretty soap box

Another way to get a lovely box is to buy a consumable that comes in a great box - and then have that box to enjoy when you've finished enjoying the product. I used to do that with Joseph Schmidt chocolates - sadly, they are no longer around. But what about a lovely box of soaps from Roger & Gallet? [via heysusy; available from Amazon.com, among many others]


stationery in beautiful letterpress box

Or for those of you who still send snail mail letters sometimes, you could get a beautiful stationery box, like the ones from Brookfield Stationery. The boxes from Rossi are pretty wonderful, too.

7 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

These are beautiful! I'm going to check out the links you've given, thanks.

Marcie Lovett said...

As a professional organizer, I try to keep "stuff" to a minimum, but I am a sucker for a beautiful box! I just bought a box of greeting cards at Borders because I loved the container. Of course, I'll use the cards, too...

Jeri Dansky said...

Struggler, I'm so glad to know you like the boxes.

Marcie, as someone who bought chocolates to get the box they came in, I know just what you mean! But that box is being well-used. I think I got some help in eating the chocolates ...

Anonymous said...

I love beautiful boxes, too! I keep a lot of my art supplies and stationery supplies in old tins.

Claycat

Jeri Dansky said...

Claycat, tins can be wonderful; I've written about them a number of times.

deanna said...

I love cigar boxes. They often have colorful and intricate designs, and they're fairly sturdy since they're usually made of wood. I like the hinged lids, too. Cigar stores used to throw them away, but have caught on to their popularity. I have a cigar store near me, and went in one day (braving the smoke - it's also got a smoking lounge), to ask for extra empty boxes - they charged me $1.50 for a small, and $2.00 for a large. I just wiped them out and set them on the windowsill for a day to get rid of the tobacco smell. I keep my writing utensils in them. They add some color to my desk.

Jeri Dansky said...

Deanna, I'm glad to know the cigar boxes air out OK. Some items never seem to shed the tobacco smell.